Wednesday, July 9, 2008

may lara's special vaca commence!!

Well, as of two days ago my three weeks of planned vacation have commenced. I haven't felt this free since high school summer vacations! The past week and a half or so have been eventful to say the least. I was down in Winona celebrating the 140th anniversary of the first dog show in Newcastle, England (and my new RN-ness and Becca's birthday) when Barry, Tim and I drunkenly decided that we wanted to see O.A.R. at Summerfest. This is one of the few drunken plans that have actually followed through for me, I'm glad to say. So, last Tuesday Barry and I trekked it across the great plains of Wisconsin. 5 1/2 loooooong hours later we were in Waukesha and exhausted. My confession for this little road trip is this: My perception of where Madison is in Wisconsin has been completely SKEWED for my entire life until our drive across the state. For some reason, I have had the delusion that Madison is in the very middle of the state, but noooo it's definitely in the SOUTH. Because of this misguided delusion of mine, the drive to Waukesha was painstakingly long. Nevertheless, good times were had in southeastern Wisconsin, O.A.R. was awesome, and the drive back didn't feel quite as long as the drive to. This past weekend was my last weekend as a PCA at Mayo. That being said it was very bittersweet and I almost got misty once or twice, just because I LOVE that floor. Never thought I would like Neurology, but I LOVE neurology and I'm going to miss everyone on 8 Mary Brigh.

Cut to today, Wednesday, day three of my vacation. I'm currently obsessed with searching for new music and whether I'm on top of the latest songs or not it makes no difference to me. My three faves right now are as follows:
1) Camper Van Beethoven "That Gum You Like is Back in Style"
2) Yeasayer "2080"
3) Iron & Wine "Boy with a Coin"

Today I woke up "early"--9:45... and I took a walk to the independent coffee shop at the edge of my neighborhood to finish re-reading Ishmael. If that book isn't amazing and awe-inspiring the first time around it surely is that and more the second time. It's not even enough for me to say that everyone in the world should be informed of the ideas in this book. I'm now excited that I have the time to read The Story of B and My Ishmael. I also have every intention on reading the follow-up to Dharma Punx (highly recommended) called Against the Stream and eventually on to The Tao of Pooh, because I hear it's neato. Woo!

No comments: